The long awaited Legion talent guide is finally ready, for your enjoyment. While most of the post contains my personal views, there are some clear winners in terms of throughput, calculated by members of the community. I’ve put those as my recommendations. There are also some good guides discussing the changes as a whole in greater detail at:
On with the show!
Tier 1 (Level 15) Talents
- Predator is a passive ability that resets the cooldown of Tiger’s Fury when a target dies with a bleed effect on it.
- Blood Scent is a passive ability that grants 10% crit strike against bleeding targets.
- Lunar Inspiration allows Moonfire to be used in Cat Form, costing 30 energy and generating 1 combo point.
Predator strikes me primarily as a PVP or leveling talent. Those are the times where a target is going to be dying the most frequently.
Blood Scent is likely to be the “go to” talent for PVE. A bleed effect should always be active on your target, so the talent becomes as passive 10% crit buff.
Lunar Inspiration is the same as it’s current iteration, likely to pull a head on encounters with 2-3 long lived targets.
The addition of more throughput talents is welcomed, but I find this tier lack luster. The Predator talent belongs in the PVP talents and Blood Scent will is a “set and forget” talent. The only upside from a design standpoint, is that the choice between simplicity and complexity. Blood Scent is the set and forget talent and Lunar Inspiration offers another dot to manage.
Recommendation: Blood Scent for single target / less complex rotation OR Lunar Inspiration for sustained cleave on long-lived targets.
Tier 2 (Level 30) Talents
- Renewal is a self heal for 30% of your hp on a 2 minute cool down.
- Displacer Beast is an active ability that teleports your 20 yards forward, activating Cat Form, and granting a 50% increase in movement speed for 4 seconds.
- Wild Charge is an active with different affect based on your shape-shift form. In Cat Form you leap behind the target dazing them for 3 seconds.
Renewal remains unchanged going into its third expansion. Which is surprising as I thought it wasn’t selected often. It’s appears to be the odd talent out on this tier. Granted that healing and movement are not direct primary throughput (dps), it hardly seems comparable. Also Feral’s have other healing options so it’s not worth sacrificing a movement option for healing.
Between Displacer Beast and Wild Charge I prefer Wild Charge. It’s the closest to the old Feral Charge which was great for moving between targets, has a shorter cool-down, and does not break stealth. That said, Displacer Beast is used by a lot of players as a ‘get out of danger’ card and has the advantage of not needing a target.
Recommendation: Player’s choice. However DB or WC is a better use of utility.
Tier 3 (Level 45) Talents
- Balance Affinity increases the range of all of your abilities by 5 yards and grants you Moonkin Form, Starsurge, Lunar Strike, Solar Wrath, and Sunfire.
- Guardian Affinity reduces all damage taken by 10% and grants you Mangle, Ironfur, and Frenzied Regeneration.
- Restoration Affinity heals you for 3% of your maximum health every 5 seconds. If you are at full health, a random nearby injured ally will be healed instead (basically the current Ysera’s Gift talent). You are also granted Rejuvenation, Regrowth, and Swiftmend.
At first glance it looks like Guardian Affinity will be the way to go. It basically grants off-tanking capacity in a pinch. Similar to what Feral was like before it was split into Feral / Guardian. However Balance Affinity might see some niche usage in encounters where the target is out of melee range. It also affects your melee attacks making it easier to hit targets moving around and/or target switching. I don’t see Restoration Affinity seeing much use in PVE as the game values on-role throughput over utility in 99% of situations.
Recommendation: Player’s choice. Moonkin or Guardian will serve you the best.
Tier 4 (Level 60) Talents
- Mighty Bash is an active ability that stuns the target for 5 seconds with a 50 second cooldown.
- Mass Entanglement is an active ability that roots the target in place for 20 seconds and spreading to nearby targets, with a 30 second cooldown.
- Typhoon is an active ability that knocks back all targets 15 yards in a cone in front of you, dazing them for 6 seconds, with a 30 second cooldown.
This tier is purely personal choice. I’ve enjoyed having both Mighty Bash and Typhoon. Having to chose between the two is a tough choice. So I might end up alternating frequently.
Recommendation: Player’s choice.
Tier 5 (Level 75) Talents
- Soul of the Forest is a passive ability that causes your finishing moves to grant 12 energy per combo point spent.
- Incarnation: King of the Jungle is an active ability that replaces Berserk, and in addition to Berserk’s other bonuses, allows the use of Prowl in combat, and causes Shred and Rake to deal damage as though you were in stealth. Lasts 30 seconds, up from Berserk’s 15 seconds.
- Savage Roar is a finishing move, costing 40 energy, that grants you 25% increased damage for its duration. Duration is dependant on the number of combo points spent as follows:
- 1 point = 8 seconds
- 2 points = 12 seconds
- 3 points = 16 seconds
- 4 points = 20 seconds
- 5 points = 24 seconds
Soul of the Forest grants 60 energy every time you use a 5 combo point finishing move. That’s the same amount of energy as Tiger’s Fury. Fantastic for smoothing out the rotation, but you have to be careful not to energy cap.
The best thing about Incarnation is that because it replaces Berserk, you have one less spell to keybind, and it’s now off the global cooldown (GCD). Otherwise it operates basically the same as it has done.
Edit Note – Incarnation is NOT off the GCD. Even though it replaces Berserk which is off the GCD, Incarnation is still on the GCD.
Savage Roar is now a talent. It’s duration is shorter and it costs more energy making it the talent requiring the most management. It’s important to note that the the energy cost is always the same regardless of how many combo points were spent to cast it. That’s why you should aim to only cast it with 5 combo points to maximise energy usage.
Recommendation: From what I’ve read Savage Roar is the best throughput talent currently and will be in Legion. However, if you have the class trinket from Archimonde then Incarnation is currently the best pick. If you have trouble managing Savage Roar, either of the other two are fine.
Tier 6 (Level 90) Talents
- Sabertooth is a passive ability that causes Ferocious Bite to always refresh the duration of Rip.
- Jagged Wounds is a passive ability that causes Rip, Rake, and Thrash to deal their damage 33% faster (same damage, over a shorter duration).
- Elune’s Guidance is an active ability that instantly grants you 5 combo points, as well as 1 combo point every second for 5 seconds. 45 second cooldown.
Sabertooth is much like the tier 13 2pc bonus from Dragon Soul. Get a super powerful Rip up, and keep it up for the whole fight. Basically removing Rip from the rotation. And you don’t have to cast a 5cp, 50 energy Feroicous Bite either, a 1 combo point Ferocious Bite will refresh it, which is great for keeping bleeds up on multiple targets.
The shorter bleed durations with Jagged Wounds increases the effort required to maintain them. This can leave you resource starved and really favours proper energy management (read energy pooling), which is a play-style some players are not fans of. When combined with the Savage Roar talent, the rotation can become very punishing, if a Rip or Savage Roar drops off.
Elune’s Guidance is meant to be an answer to Feral’s problems with target switching; long ramp-up time. This will allow you to use several finishing moves in quick success either for Rip’s on multiple targets, or Ferocious Bite’s in quick succession of priority adds. However, when not in these situations it’s throughput is diminished.
Recommendation: Jagged Wounds provides the best dps throughput currently.
Tier 7 (Level 100) Talents
- Brutal Slash is an active ability that replaces Swipe. It has 3 charges with an 18 second recharge time. Costs 20 energy and generates 1 combo point.
- Blood Talons is an active ability that causes your next Heal Touch casts to make the next two melee abilities deal 40% increased damage for their full duration. Lasts 30 seconds.
- Moment of Clarity is a passive ability that causes Omen of Clarify to affect the next 3 Cat Form abilities (up from 1), and also permanently increases your maximum energy by 30.
Brutal Slash is only going to be good when there are lots of adds, like Tectus.
Blood Talons is the same as it is currently. It’s stood the test of time, going into its third expansion.
I really like the extra maximum energy from Moment of Clarity. I used to look at Rogues who got extra maximum energy from PVP gear and wanted Feral’s to have something similar and now we do. Also because Moment of Clarity is passive, it gives players a choice to how complex they want their gameplay to be.
Recommendation: Bloodtalons. You know it, you love it. Current best throughput talent in the row.
Final Thoughts – Pros
Some interesting talents here. Even though there are some clear choices in terms of throughput, I would really like to see the other options balanced so that we can chose a talent to fit out play-style and not be penalised.
I feel that the talent tree offers a good mix of complexity. Players can choose how complex they want their game-play to be. This is good design.
There are also some really tough choices in the utility tiers; Mighty Bash vs Typhoon and Wild Charge vs Displacer Beast. This is again good design. You want player’s to recogonise the advantages and disadvantages of each talent and think about their choice, rather than following a cookie-cutter build.
I also like the direction taken with the affinity talent tier. Heart of the Wild and Nature’s Vigil attempted to give the class some hybrid utility through various means, resulting in weird usage and the longest tooltip in the game of a period of time.
After playing for a while, I really miss Faerie Fire. It was great at pulling mobs from ranged, and in Bear Form it did damage. The damage from FF was really useful for soloing some old content. There is also some weird things happening with the pandemic mechanic and Jagged Wounds. Stay tuned for updates on this.
I also feel weaker. I feel like I’m not doing as much damage as before. This isn’t unexpected though. It’s common during the expansion pre-patch for damage not to be balance, because it’s balanced around being max level. And in the case of Legion, it will also be balanced around having our artifact weapon.
What do you think of the talents? Do you like the choices in complex vs passive talents? Do you prefer the old talents? What would you change if you could? Let me know what you think. Feel free to leave a comment on the post, send me an email at email@example.com, follow me on twitter @Elamari_ or like and comment on the File Under Feral Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FileUnderFeral.